The Congress of Future Medical Leaders Overnight Program FAQs
June 26-28, 2024 | Lowell, MA
When should I arrive and depart?
Plan your travel so that you arrive in Boston at either the Boston Logan International (Airport), or Amtrak’s Boston South Station (train) between 8AM and 2PM on Wednesday, June 26, 2024 and depart on Saturday, June 29th between 9AM and 5:00 PM.
What do I do after I arrive at the Airport or Train Station and how do I get to UMass Lowell?
After you arrive, you’ll check in with our on-site transportation team. Our team will be positioned in a specific area inside the terminal from 6AM. We’ll provide instructions to you on how to find them closer to your travel day. From here, our team will help you board a bus to your accommodations. Buses depart beginning at 9AM and ending at 3PM, ensuring that you get to the Congress on time.
NOTE: If your plane or train arrives between 5AM - 9AM, you will need to wait with our team for the first bus. If you do not check in with our on-site transportation team by 3PM to board the last bus, we will arrange separate transportation for you via UBER at your expense (approx. $50). For this reason, we recommend that you arrive between 9AM and 2PM to limit inconvenience.
I’m local to the area. Can I get dropped off and picked up by car?Yes! You can be dropped off on Wednesday, June 26th, 2024 between 11AM and 4PM. You can be picked up on Saturday, June 29th between 6AM and 12PM. The on-campus pickup and drop off location is:
Campus Recreation Center (Gym)
322 Aiken Street
Lowell, MA 01854
Where do I check-in for the Overnight Program?Upon arrival, you will check-in at the Campus Recreation Center (aka, the Gym). At that location, you’ll pick up your Congress Badge, dorm assignment, and keys. Please note that the Overnight Program check-in location is different from the Congress event location.
Where am I staying?
You will enjoy a pre-college experience, staying on campus in UMass Lowell dorms and eating breakfast at the UMass Lowell dining hall. Please keep in mind that UMass Lowell dorms are NOT air-conditioned and that you will walk through the campus, from the dorms to the Tsongas Center, for the Congress each day. You should plan accordingly — pack a collapsible umbrella and wear appropriate shoes. You will be assigned to a single-gender, multiple occupancy dorm on a single-gender floor with single-gender shared bathrooms. You will meet your roommate(s) upon arrival.
Are meals included?
Breakfast will be served June 27, 28, and 29 from 7 AM to 8:20 AM in Fox Hall Dining. An all-you-can-eat buffet, with hot and cold choices, will be available. If you are arriving on campus early on June 26, food items will be available for purchase.
You will be responsible for purchasing your own lunch and dinner. Bring enough spending money (cash or card) to cover both meals for each day of the Congress, plus any extra money you would like for snacks. The Tsongas Center offers multiple meal options for students to purchase on the concourse level during meal breaks.
Are linens, towels, and a pillow included?
Linens, towels, and a pillow are not included. You can rent linens, towels, and a pillow as a pre-packaged set ahead of time for $45 via the Overnight Program portal (access to the portal will be given in January). Once ordered, you will pick up your set for your stay upon check in.
Here’s what is included in each set:
- 1 pillow and pillow cover
- 1 top sheet and fitted bottom sheet
- 1 light blanket
- 1 towel
Note that these items come as a pre-packaged set, and are not available for individual rental. If you don’t want to pay for a set, you can bring your own. Dorm beds are twin size (38”x75”).
What do I need to pack?
These are some important things to include while you are packing:
- Business casual clothing for the Congress. This includes knee-length dresses or skirts, trousers, collared shirts, and blouses. We ask that you refrain from wearing jeans, athletic wear, and flip-flops.
- Comfortable dress shoes to wear as you’ll be walking to and from the Tsongas Center each day.
- Spending money. Although breakfast is included on the 27th and 28th, you will be responsible for lunch, dinner, and any snacks you’d like. The Tsongas Center has plenty of food options for purchase between $5-$15 per meal.
- Reusable water bottle. Hydration is key! Reusable water bottles are permitted in the Tsongas Center as long as they are empty when you arrive. There are plenty of water fountains to fill up throughout the arena.
- Notebook and pen. The Congress will be jam-packed with info you won’t want to forget. Trust us… you’ll need it!
- Portable phone charger. Not a must but definitely useful! Although you’ll have a couple breaks during each day, you may want to bring a charger to be safe.
- Portable fan. Keep in mind that the dorms on campus are not air-conditioned. While evening temperatures in Lowell this time of year are in the mid 50’s to low 60’s, you may be a hot sleeper and prefer to have a fan! Remember, most of your time will be spent at the Tsongas Center during the day, and the dorms at night.
- Drawstring bag or purse. You’ll want a bag you’re comfortable carrying around each day to hold your essentials. Drawstring bags and backpacks will be available for purchase at the Congress merch store.
- Linens, Towels, and Pillow. Bring a set of sheets for a twin sized bed (38”x75”), a pillow and pillowcase, and towels. You can also lighten your packing list and rent these items instead on the Overnight Program Portal.